March 22, 2012

watch it: 21 jump street


Source: imdb.com via Kelly on Pinterest







Notable Cast Members:
Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, Brie Larson, Dave Franco, Ice Cube, Rob Riggle, Ellie Kemper, DeRay Davis

Overall Rating: ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ (rating rationale)

Plot Summary: Schmidt (Jonah Hill) has his brains going for him. Jenko (Channing Tatum) has his braun. At the police academy, the two set aside differences from high school and join forces to help each other become police officers. In the process, they also become best friends and partners. After screwing up their first attempt at a major arrest, the deputy chief (played by Parks and Recreation's Nick Offerman) reassigns them to an undercover operation located at 21 Jump Street. The two prepare to go undercover at a local high school in order to stop the spread of a dangerous new drug (while living with Schmidt's parents in the house he grew up in). However, they accidentally mix up their newly assigned identities, and Schmidt, who was an academic outsider in high school, gets in with the popular crowd, while Jenko, who was an all-around jock unconcerned with learning, makes friends with the nerds. Add in the fact that their police work is not always top-dollar, and you get some hilarious, action-packed entertainment.

Personal Thoughts: I loved this movie! It's one of the funniest movies I've seen in awhile - definitely the funniest since Bridesmaids. I know I usually like most movies I review, but I claim it's not that I like everything and it's more that I am just good at spending my time on movies I like...although most people tell me it's the first option. I know I'm not alone on my 21 Jump Street opinion, though! Dan thought this movie was hilarious and worth seeing in theaters, as did a few other people with whom I discussed the film. That being said, if you enjoy movies like Superbad, Stepbrothers, Pineapple Express, Your Highness, etc., then you will probably enjoy 21 Jump Street. If you didn't like at least one of those movies, you may not like 21 Jump Street. If you can't handle violence, you might not like 21 Jump Street (or at least will need to avert your eyes for a few moments). A lot of my favorite movies are ones like the four mentioned above, and I am excellent at averting my eyes at any violence that gets to me, so I did enjoy this movie! Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum have an excellent rapport as weirdly-matched best friends, display awesome comedic chops, and nicely play the "serious" moments without any cheesiness. The supporting cast is superb, especially Dave Franco and Ice Cube. The story is a bit off-kilter, but just grounded enough. If you're looking for a movie to crack you up while also blowing stuff up, 21 Jump Street has got you covered.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...