July 26, 2011
July 25, 2011
Hello, everyone! I hope you're doing well. Sorry for my absence - I was working and visiting Dan in Columbus, where we drank a lot of coffee, ate yummy meals followed up with ice cream, watched movies, read books, went for walks, and just generally relaxed. It was a wonderful mini-vacation with one of my very favorite people : )
I'm a month into my fitness journey, so I've decided to stop with the weekly summaries and just to blog about health and fitness in general on Mondays (though I will give updates still from time to time, and will of course be tweeting). Today I want to share with you my "Fitness Bucket List," or my list of exercises and physical challenges I hope to complete someday:
July 15, 2011
Sorry for the lack of a post yesterday. I have no "rational" excuse, but I have what I consider an acceptable one: I was busy re-reading the seventh Harry Potter book. You'll be pleased to know I finished it in time to both happily and sadly attend a 12:04AM showing of the eighth and final film. Did you see it yet? Are you planning to? I highly recommend you do, it was fantastic (more of my opinion next week)!
While you're waiting to leave for the movies, or relaxing at home, or whatever you're up to this weekend, enjoy some weekly gems!
- Everybody needs to read this inspiring story (And I mean, really read it, go through all the links and background). So moving. (via Aspiring Kennedy)
- Awesome entertaining tips from Emily.
- Fitness tips and an awesome outfit from Taylor.
- Courtney Cox's Malibu house is gorgeous! And Hank Azaria's Bel Air home is pretty fantastic, as well.
- Neat podcast recommendations and photos of Audrey from Fallon.
- If you love HP and FYA as much as I do, the you'll enjoy the 10 High School Lessons I Learned From Harry Potter.
- Speaking of HP, I adored Ezra Pound Cake's several "Harry Potter feast" posts this week!
- Other recipes added to my "Need to Make" list: pasta with yellow tomatoes, cherry sorbet, frozen cocktails, caramel banana cake, and giant rainbow cookies. I also want to try cupcake fondue! (via Glitter Guide)
- Although I'm not a graduate wife, I sure appreciated Lauren's three posts full of tips on living well and nurturing a serious relationship on a tight budget.
- Similarly, though I'm not a working mother, I was fascinated by a new series on balance curated by Joanna.
- Cute post about dogs' happiness.
July 13, 2011
I love pretty much everything in Jan Skácelík's Etsy shop, but these retro print Star Wars posters just might be my favorite. I love how they each contain just two colors, important characters and images, a memorable quote, and key words and phrases in small print at the bottom. And, on top of all that, they pay tribute to a great film trilogy! I'd love to see Jan's take on classics like The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, or Casablanca. What movie would you like to be made into a retro print like these?
July 12, 2011
Have you visited the month-old Glitter Guide yet? Founded by Taylor Sterling, a favorite blogger of mine, it is a website that, in its own words, "offers fun, colorful and chic lifestyle tidbits from fashion to fitness; each topic injected with a healthy dose of sparkle." The site has a super clean, attractive look that I wish I could emulate on this blog. It is easily navigable, containing drop-down tabs for each of its five main sections (fashion, beauty, lifestyle, shopping and trends) and an internal search bar. To make enjoying Glitter Guide even easier, fans have the opportunity to subscribe to a daily newsletter. Glitter Guide is also available on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Tumblr.
I have been going to Glitter Guide everyday - I can't get enough of it! I love the eye candy the site provides, as well as being introduced to new ideas and new bloggers. The lifestyle section is my favorite, but I enjoy all of them. I definitely recommend you make time in the near future to explore the site. You'll fall in love!
July 11, 2011
Overall summary - Week 4 was my best week yet!!! : )
Healthy eating - I ate healthily four days in a row! I feel sort of silly being so excited by this, but whatever, I am! And by "ate healthily," I mean I ate less processed/junk food and ate correct portions of decent food. Tracking my food using My Fitness Pal really helped me accomplish that. I am starting to crave fruit and water more, and sweets and diet soda less, which I find very exciting!
Exercise - I walked the dogs multiple times. I did the 30 Day Shred twice - the first time, on level one (of three) like I have been for months, and the second time, on level two. Level two felt AMAZING - so hard, but I knew I could do it and do it well (the quote above kept me going, in fact!). I can't wait to do it again! : )
Attitude - I feel so much better than I have been. To be honest with you, at the beginning of week four, I felt like I was failing. I was thinking, I keep trying, I do well for a day or two, and then I lose all my progress. I just need to focus. I kept thinking to myself: "Discipline. Dedication. Determination." Over and over and over. I pushed myself, I kept going, and now I am doing it, I'm really doing it, and it feels great! I'm so glad I stuck it out to Week 4!!!
Goals for Week 5 - This week is going to be pretty busy with some traveling regarding my full-time job search and with my part-time job schedule, but I aim to work out at least three times and walk the dogs on the days I don't work out (hopefully, I can fit in short walks on the days I do work out as well, but walking is the bare minimum activity I want to be accomplishing every day, no matter what). I also aim to continue honing the healthy eating habits I started doing well with during Week 4.
What fitness milestones are/were you excited to reach?
July 8, 2011
- I would totally live in this Portland loft.
- Love Matchbook Magazine's wish list for July.
- Can't wait to try these recipes for tuna cobb sandwiches, triple berry crisp, watermelon margaritas, and nectarine and blackberry galette.
- My heart melted when I read this essay about dating a girl who reads.
- Tips for keeping your dog safe in the car.
- Love this doodle-filled interview with my favorite author.
- Ideas for making drinking water less boring.
- What do you think about 3-D movies? I'll sometimes spring for it if I really want to see the movie, but I'm fine without it.
- A slideshow of Prince William and Duchess Kate's Canadian tour.
- Adore these vintage travel posters.
- Ways to avoid annoying your boss.
- Favorite weddings of the week: one, two, three.
July 7, 2011
Afternoon naps followed with a big cup of coffee
The cute photo of Madison up above
Making bow bouquets at bridal showers
Inside jokes with my co-workers
Deciding my next nail polish purchase
Trivia about U.S. presidents
Planning my next visit to see Dan
What is making you happy as of late?
July 6, 2011
My dog, Madison, loves her leash. It's her favorite thing in the whole world. It's like her security blanket. Last week, I decided to see what happened if I took Madison's leash and clipped it onto the collar my family's dog, Sasha. Watch the video to find out! : )
July 5, 2011
Overall summary - Both Week 2 and Week 3 started off well (eating decently and working out), but then fell apart as the week went on, which is similar to how Week 1 went.
Healthy eating - Same problems as during Week 1, in that I am struggling with eating well when out with friends and avoiding the concession stand at work. I think I am doing a bit better with eating well when out with friends, but I need to get better about not eating unhealthy snacks at work. I think I just need to make sure I pack a variety of snacks to choose from and not bring any cash with me, as well as stay hydrated so I don't mistake thirst for hunger.
Exercise - I didn't exercise as much as I wanted to, but I did do some activities other than just walking the dogs, which is good.
Attitude - Similar struggles to Week 1. I tweeted this on Thursday: "It boils down to a lack of discipline. I need to push myself. Not for perfection, but for my best effort. I am only hurting myself." I used to be such a perfectionist, and I still am, in many regards. But I am also aware of my perfectionist tendencies and how they worsen my anxiety, so I often try to resist pushing myself too hard. I have especially done this with getting in shape because I didn't want to develop any other negative eating or fitness issues. I think I've taken it too far to the other extreme of not being disciplined and motivated, though. I need to be mega-determined again, just more forgiving and encouraging to myself when I slip up rather than negative and harsh.
Goals for Week 4 - I have a few goals for Week 4: (1) Track my food every day using My Fitness Pal. (2) Walk the dogs every day. (3) Use habitforge to help me achieve 1 & 2. (4) Work out at least 3 times using 30 Day Shred or Nike Training Club.
Other Notes - I've decided to work toward a sort of prize. Every day I track my food, I set aside a dollar. Every time I walk the dogs, I set aside a dollar. Every time I work out, I set aside a dollar. Eventually, over the course of a month or two, I will have enough money for this. I plan to have it engraved with some sort of phrase or quote that reminds me what determination and hard work can achieve. So, not only will I have enough money for a pretty and inspiring piece of every day jewelry, but I will have formed strong new habits.
Anyone have tips for how to handle slip ups without being too hard on yourself?
July 4, 2011
Grill out. Go for a walk. Wave a flag. Light some sparklers. Make s'mores. Swim. See fireworks. Play games. Give thanks. Work in the garden. Drink lemonade. Have a red, white, and blue dessert. Stay safe. Enjoy the day.
July 1, 2011
- Need a 4th of July outfit? Get some inspiration here.
- And if you are looking for a fun, cool treat for the holiday weekend, check out this collection of popsicle recipes.
- A great post by Taylor about balance.
- Love these prints by The Pink Pagoda, I would love one to hang in my house someday!
- I'll definitely be planning a trip to Costa Rica sometime in the future - look at Emily's photos of her trip!
- I'll also be making these chicken crescents sometime soon, they sound (and look) delicious!
- Do you like cake pops? If you so, you must check out the Pop Stars section of Bakerella's site.
- You might pair your wine with food, but what about pairing food and beer?
- Princes for you to dream about since William is officially off the market.
- I might just have to buy myself this week's issue of EW.
- Like Fallon, I'm super excited for ABC's Pan Am this fall! Are you?
- Considering indulging in a Dani Notes iPhone case as a Get Fit Get Strong reward in the future.
- Tips for a happy marriage (via tulips and flight suits)
- The nutrients you need to reduce your risk of skin cancer.