May 30, 2011

memorial day

Lake Erie, 2009



Hello, everyone! I hope you're having a great three-day weekend. So far I am! I spent time with Dan and his family, my family, and today I'm going to the beach with two of my very best friends. Right now, however, I'm going to indulge myself in a social studies teacher moment.


A lot of people don't understand the difference between Veterans' Day and Memorial Day. Quite simply, Veterans' Day is meant to honor those who served/serve in the military, while Memorial Day began to honor those who died in the line of duty. Memorial Day still serves that purpose today, but has also become a time of year that many family and friends take to honor their deceased loved ones.

So while you are relaxing on this day off, take a moment to remember why it was declared a federal holiday in the first place. If you are able to, try to share with a child what this day means. It is never to early to learn "gone, but never forgotten."




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...