November 11, 2011

history lesson: veterans' day





I love that Veterans' Day in the U.S. is on November 11th for a couple reasons: (1) it makes November even more full of conscious reflections of gratitude and (2) it marks the anniversary of the end of WWI (also known as Armistice Day). I know there's a lot of buzz about making a wish at 11:11 on 11/11/11, which I do think is pretty neat and fun, but whenever I hear "11:11 on 11/11," I can't help but think of how WWI formally ended on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918. I challenge you at that moment, in addition to any personal wish you may be making, to also pause and think of veterans you know or veterans in general. If not at that moment, sometime throughout today. Veterans I know are in my thoughts and prayers more than usual today - my cousin and her husband, another dear cousin of mine, my best friend's sister, the man who was the best man to my maid of honor in a wedding, the man who spoke to my government students last spring, the man who spoke to one of my history classes in college, a man who grew up in Boy Scouts with my brother, two former math teachers, my grandfathers, my great-uncles, and so many others I have interacted with or heard about throughout my lifetime. To all the veterans, I thank you for all you do, have done, and will do for America and its people. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you have a beautiful day today, and every day.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...