March 7, 2011

update: month two

Hello everybody! How was your weekend? Mine was nice! I still felt pretty under the weather Saturday, but staying home all day, napping, and watching TV with my boyfriend and dog helped. Sunday I worked on teaching things, baked brownies, and visited with friends.





Today is the first Monday of March, which means it's time for my New Year's, All Year Challenge update for the month of February. Here are the goals for 2011 I made progress on in February:
  • Get a full-time job teaching social studies grades 7-12 and/or apply to graduate school. I've gathered my references, finalized my resume, and applied for jobs.
  • Cook one new recipe a month. My friend Claire and I made up a delicious pasta dish.
  • Create and wear wardrobe with intention. I picked up classic black pants, cute tops, and an awesome white watch from Kohl's.
  • Reach a healthy BMI. I've made a tiny bit of progress...but it's exciting : )
  • Eat at least two servings of both fruits and veggies every day. Doing well with this still! Especially on the weekdays. Now I need to step it up on the weekends.
  • Work out at least 3 times a week. I bought Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and began it before I started getting sick. I'm excited to get back with it!
  • Teach Madison how to stay and give paw. She is still doing really well with stay!





I mentioned in January's update that the challenge wasn't progressing as well as I had hoped. Unfortunately, that is still true. I think this is for a few reasons:
  1. February is a short month. Only 28 days to get things done. I swear this must matter! ; )
  2. I started building up the sickness that kept me housebound all last week.
  3. February made up the bulk of my first full month of student teaching, which was an adjustment.
That actually brings up the bigger reason why I know I'm having trouble making changes - this semester is very different from the rest of college, and I guess the rest of my life (although that sounds really dramatic). I'm in student teaching! so I'm adjusting to the demands of a full-time job that I've never done before, while working part-time and trying as much as possible to enjoy my last semester of college. When I realized this, I wondered to myself, am I crazy to be attempting these resolutions this year, when I'm in student teaching, job searching, graduating, moving, etc.?

But then I realized, there is never a convenient time to make changes. If it wasn't graduating, moving and getting a job, it would be adjusting to a new job. Or going to grad school. Or getting married. Or moving again. Or having kids. Or SOMETHING. Luckily for me, 2011 has 12 months, and I've always subscribed to the theory that slow and steady wins the race.





It's not too late to join the Challenge! E-mail me if you want to get involved. What goals are you working on and how do you deal with roadblocks?

2 comments:

Kaylyn said...

John Wooden FTW.

Rachel said...

i love the end of this post. i think it's really great that you recognize that there's never a "good time" to start things like following resolutions, or anything that results in a big life change. that's something i've been realizing recently, too.
i think it sounds like you're doing a great job at keeping up with things and being honest if you aren't. keep up the good work :)

in terms of my own goals, i'm working on not trying to be in control of every situation and every aspect of my life. and it is HARD! lol.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...